Testing on a device.

As a group we feel it is important to test our app on a physical device. The Xcode development environment allows the software to be tested on a iPhone simulator, however testing on a physical device allows for a more accurate representation to be assessed on how the app will ultimately function. Things such as how easy the user interface is to navigate can be more easily found out if testing on a physical device, due to the nature of the interaction with the software being more representative of the final desired outcome.

In order to get our code built to a physical device, we first had to jump through several administrative hoops, in regards to the Apple developer account system. This involved getting approved through the university, as well as setting up provisioning profiles and getting a specific device approved for application testing. This proved more difficult than expected at first, and we suffered some minor delays in being able to test our application.

When we did manage to get our software on to a physical iPhone, we were faced with additional problems. Our work on setting up the constraints in Xcode had been mainly focused on an iPhone 6-sized canvas. Unfortunately, we had often fallen into the pitfall of using static number based measurements in our laying out of the application elements. This meant that on the specific-sized canvas we were designing for, the application looked as we intended, however on screens any smaller, the elements were arranged incorrectly or sized too large for the display.

In order to fix this, we went through and redid much of our constraints work within our application. Using techniques such as proportional widths and heights, aspect ratios, and pinning elements to each other we achieved a design methodology that responds to whatever size canvas it is set to fill. This allows the application to appear properly and as we had designed it on a range of different devices, from an iPhone 4S to iPads.

As for the other functions of the application, we also initially had issues with sounds not playing, however we also managed to fix this easily, as it was simply due to a file storage issue.

Now that the constraints have been redone, the application works well on a physical phone, and we are happy that its functionality and aesthetics transfer well to different device sizes.

A snapshot of the application running on an iPhone 4S, after constraints have been fixed.

A snapshot of the application running on an iPhone 4S, after constraints have been fixed.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s